Wednesday, January 21, 2009

First Timer

So, in regards to having a new baby, and trying to keep everyone updated at the same time, I thought I'd start one of these. :]
And because it's my first, it will also be my longest. So bear with me.
I'll go by day...I think that will be easiest.

This last week has been one of the best of my life.
As you all know, Landon James Comstock was born on January 13, 2009 at 11:17 am and was 6 lbs .5 oz and was 19 in.

From the second he was born, this child has changed my life. The moment I saw him I burst into tears and couldn't help but laugh and cry at the same time.

January 12, 2009
We had a doctors appointment at 10am.
I was beyond tired of being pregnant. I was anxious to meet our son, and extremely uncomfortable. I had an exam, and I was crushed to hear I hadn't dilated any more that I was the previous week. The doctor told me I should wait it out and if I didn't go into labor by next monday he'd induce. Well, I wasn't going to have any of that! For one, Steven had to work for a week straight, so if I let nature take its course, I could go into labor with Steven at work, and no way to get ahold of him. So behind teary eyes I asked if we would be able to induce that day.. To my surprise the doctor quickly said, "Ok, be at the hospital at 6:30 and we'll get things going."
We were so excited and called everyone we could to give them the good news.
Unfortunately, that also made me more nervous then ever before, because I knew for certain that by sometime the next day our son would be born. And no matter what, I had to be ready for labor.

So, we arrive at the Hospital at 6:30, were in the room by 6:45 (Huge corner room) and had the medication in to thin my vervix by 7:30. The only part I didn't enjoy about being there was the fact that I had to have two IVs. The first one, my vein blew, so the nurse had to start a second one. Let me tell you...not fun...at all. It's pretty painful, and I was more nervous about getting an IV than actual labor.

So for the next few hours, we sat around waiting for things to start happening.
Finally around 1 am I start to feel contractions! Right away they're 3 - 5 minutes apart.
At 5:30, the nurse gives me some medication through my IV and I feel wonderful. :] I sleep for a good hour, and at 7:30 the doctor comes in..

He checks to see if I'm dilating, which I am, I was at 4 cm by this point, and then my water broke. After that, things really got going, and I instantly start having stronger and closer together contractions. Things go on for a few hours, they get stronger and longer..
I ask for an epidural, which they're happy to give me..except I would have to wait an hour and a half for it... the anesthesiologist was is surgery. :[
So during the wait, I just did my thing, and breathed through each contraction, kept my focus and tried to relax.
They finally come in, and I am beyond ready for it. So I have to sit up and not move while getting the epidural. Which is definately not the easiest thing to do when you're having very strong contractions, on top of which, when I sat up, it fully dilated me and I had a very strong urge to push. It was quite possibly the worst 15 minutes of my life, it felt longer than the 10 hours I had been in labor.
After finally getting my life saver, I feel amazing. Steven comes back in and I'm smiling and happy and able to talk, not feeling pain at all.
And after forty five minutes of pushing, little baby Landon is born.
That was the happiest moment of my lfe, and I'll never forget the feeling of seeing my son for the first time.

January 13 - 14, 2009
Not much happens these days, they basically watch over us and make sure mommy and baby are nice and healthy..which we are. We also go home in the afternoon on the 14th.

January 15 - 19
Again, not much going on. Lots of visiting with family.
Everyday that we were home we had somewhere to be or had people over, and while it was definitely exhausting, it's always nice to have your family with you.
My mom stayed the night a few nights, and it helped, so so much. I am so thankful to have had her stay over. She made things a lot easier for me..Unfortunately Steven has worked every night since we've been home. So he hasn't been able to help out much..which I really don't need very much because Landon is the most amazing baby ever.
But it was very nice to have the company because I definitely would have gotten lonely.

January 20, 2009
Today was a very very hard day for me.
Little Landon was circumcised today.. :[ I was an emotional wreck. I cried the entire time because I felt absolutely horrible. I wanted it done though, there was no doubt in my mind. But it's still very hard on me to intentional cause pain to my child. Thank God I had Steven by my side to help me out. I don't know what I would've done with out him.
Landon was amazing though. When they brought him out, he was dead asleep, and cried very little when we got him in the carseat.
He cried more when we were getting him out, but he was fine after a few moments of me holding him close. He's basically been sleeping a lot, which is to be expected, I bet it really takes a lot out of you. And waking up to feed. My mommy stayed the night again to help me out, and he was awake for a while, so we had fun playing with him for a bit.
We even had to change a few diapers, and the little trooper hardly made a peep.
It amazes me how strong my son is, and he's only a week old.
It really does, he is truly a gift from God, and we are so unbelievably blessed with him.

So tomorrow Daddy finally has a day off!!!
We plan on spending the entire day in bed, relaxing.

Now I'm exhausted, today was emotionally draining for me.
I'm gonna go sleep while the baby is still sleeping, and plus time goes by faster. SO Steven will be home sooner!!!


Good night all

-Bri

No comments:

Post a Comment